Perseid Meteor Shower - August 13th, 2015

7:23 PM

The annual meteor shower has come and gone.  This is not the first time I've tried my hand at taking pics of it, and honestly, I don't know which one worked out better.  Neither of them would be considered great.

Tried some star trails but camera stopped
August 11th, 2012, so faint I had to make it black and white
I guess the pictures below were technically taken on the 13th, between 1 and 3 a.m.  Actually, I went on the 12th as well, but did not bring a suitable camera/lens combination.  And on the 13th, I brought my gear, but it was cloudy!  The sky cleared up for a little bit, thank goodness, but I didn't get very awesome, viral pics at all.  I did manage to get two on camera and maybe saw 6-8 in almost two hours (whereas I saw probably just as many in only about 30 minutes the night before).



The cameras I used were the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and the Pentax Q7.  Unfortunately, due to not having a job, I've sold off most of my cameras.  On the first night, I brought the Q7 with the ultrawide fisheye lens 03, but I keep forgetting that with those types of lenses (native, but manual), the max exposure time is only 2 seconds.  On top of that, the aperture is only f5.6, so even at ISO 12,800, basically nothing was visible (not to mention the noise obliterated everything anyway).  I had two tripods going, but I sold the 02 lens for the Pentax Q7, so had to settle for the 01 prime.  It's a sharp lens, f1.9, but just not wide enough to really have a good chance of catching any meteors.  Here is a couple pics from the little Pentax.
It was dark enough I guess
The clouds look really cool with the city light glow
And here is a comparable shot from the Olympus.  Maybe I shouldn't have sold my 12mm f2 for my Sony...whoops.

Way cleaner, but to be expected
I actually used an Olympus WCON-08B 0.8X Wide Extension Lens on the 12-40mm f2.8 PRO to make it a little wider.  Let me know with a comment if anyone is actually interested, I can go more into detail about the setup and everything.

You Might Also Like

0 comments